Had a clean up drive for my make up collection this weekend…It feels like an big achievement ! I had been just purchasing and stacking them up randomly which left me using only those products which were at the top of the rack and I used to miss out on many products which went into hiding (at the bottom of my collection). That led me to initiate a clean up & organize drive and am sooo happy with the results. Finding my make up stuff is so easy now plus the whole collection looks nice and organized.
Since this was a very helpful process for me, I thought I’d share my tips on how to effectively clean out your makeup collection and get everything organized for easy use.
- Get all of your makeup together in one place before starting
- Create piles to help you determine what’s staying and what’s going – New/Favorites/Regularly Used.
- Go through and throw away all of the expired and old products first to make it easier to see what you have to work with. Throwing away the expired products is very important as expired products can cause skin allergies/infections.
- Pick up each item individually and really think about which pile it needs to go in – don’t just start throwing things into piles.
- Pick a space to keep all of your makeup stored so that it’s easy to locate anything when you need it, like a vanity, dresser, or bookshelf.
- Use containers/baskets/boxes/etc. to store your makeup – you can shop for them online easily.
- Organize your makeup by product type so you can find specific items quickly – I store base products in one drawer, blushes in another, lipsticks in another, etc.
- You can also further segregate and store similar product types based on the color family. For instance: all your peach blushes are stored together, all nude lipsticks stay together, etc.
- Store new products and duplicates that you’ve yet to open in a separate bin so that they don’t get buried and forgotten about.
- Use things like vases/cups/jars/etc. to keep your makeup brushes together in one place.
- Keep the products you use the most pulled to the front so you can access them easily.
I am planning to do this clean & organize drive once in each quarter. That would help me using my products effectively and also discarding the old/ expired ones.
I would love to hear from you girls on how do you clean & organize your make up collection. If you have any additional tips, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below. 🙂